Posted on August 1, 2011 by Lexi25 COMMENTS
I have been obsessing over Lauren Conrad’s cotton candy frosted tips since she posted a picture of the dipped hair on her new beauty blog, thebeautydepartment. Just a few days before the big reveal, the reality starlet polled her readers and asked whether she should leave the tie-dyed tips to the “rebelling teens,” or to give the color trend a shot. Sixty percent suggested L.C. go for it, and voila – the most covet-worthy hair trend I’ve seen in a while.
If you are totally panicked about dyeing your tresses in all colors of the rainbow, try a bold colored extension. Models at Prabal Gurung’s latest fashion show had their extensions individually hand-dyed by stylist, Didier Malige, but you can get the same effect on the cheap and easy by buying pre-colored extensions at your local beauty supply store.
And if you’re ready to rebel, Elle Girl has an awesome dip-dyed hair how-to. Check it:
What you’ll need: Hair bleach, developer, gloves, brush, foil, dye
Steps to Complete the Look:
1. Mix hair bleach and developer in a plastic bowl until you get an icy-like consistency.
2. Section out your hair; keep first section on top of head with a clip.
3. Split the bottom section in 1/2 and apply bleach to desire ends up to your desire length. Feather the brush towards the top and cover completely.
4. Apply foil (yes, you can steal the foil in your kitchen) to each section of hair, take bottom half of your hair down and do the same.
5. Heat ends with a blow dryer and check each section to make sure they are fully saturated.
6. Remove foils and rinse over the sink.
7. Put your desired hair color into a plastic cup and apply generously! This is the time to have some fun.
8. Wrap colored hair in plastic bag and apply heat, the longer it holds, the better the color keeps.
9. Let hair cool for 5 minutes.
10. Rinse ends with condition and smile at your sick new hair in the mirror!