Posts from — March 2012
In case you missed my Guest Post for Let it Be Beautiful …
I’ve always dreamed of having a perfect space to work in and out of and as of a few months ago, the hubby and I moved into our first house (rental, but still … a house!) Until this major life move, we had existed in tiny apartments with tiny bathrooms and tiny closets and hardly enough room for a Costco shop, let alone an office. But now the “office” is filled with crafts (trust me, a wonderful thing to be full of), but I buy crafts every time I get bit with an idea, so the piles are growing, and my sweet little desk, it’s nearly bare. I do most of my work perched on my sofa, staring woefully at the office just across the way. Clearly my little office/craft-room needs an upgrade and a bit of TLC!
Because I know everyone dreams of a glamorous office (I mean, who doesn’t pin gorgeous workspaces on Pinterest?), I thought I’d break down what’s in my dream office first …
1. If I’m going to try out this whole fashion blogger thing with my very own fashion blogger office, I’d like to look the part! I’d love a bold chair (preferably with grommets or animal print!), a bold floor rug, and a sleek desk big enough to accommodate all of my junk. #hoarder
2. An inspiration wall. I’m torn between a chalkboard wall and a corkboard wall, though I’d venture to guess the corkboard is easier for tacking idea after idea.
3. Organization! I dream in organization — in perfectly-placed shelves and ergonomic storage. I’d store documents, ideas, and most importantly – my crafts! Also, the Container Store is magical.
So there you have it! Now it’s your turn. Tell me, what is it you look for in a perfect place to work/get-inspired? Are you happy on the sofa? Do you work best at a desk? Are you a neat freak or a stuff-collector?
March 31, 2012 6 Comments
1. I’m currently obsessing over all things ceramic and these dainty geometric pastel bowls are no exception. Anne Jørgensen ceramic bowls via retrovilla.
2. My walls are painfully bare, and we’ve been moved in for at least 6 months now (a.k.a., no excuse.) For starters, this “I Love You To The Moon” Print via Yellow Button Studio on Etsy.
4. I love Easter. Also, I’m Jewish. But that doesn’t stop me from obsessing over pastels, decorating eggs, and pretending I have any idea what Easter is all about. These doodle eggs by Alisa Burke will most definitely be on my I-don’t-actually-celebrate-Easter-but-do To Do List.
March 30, 2012 0 Comments
Long before I strutted in court rooms (i.e., squeaking in front of judges, gulping back nerves; in high heels), I was a bookish English major with a passion for fashion and literature. In fact, I was so smitten with the two that I wrote a massive thesis on the history of the corset and its influence on feminism. To this day, I love old books and undergarments, and these stunning 1920s pieces are no exception.
French Brassiere and Underpants, Met Museum, 1920s
March 29, 2012 3 Comments
Desserts (and shopping) are my weakness. I know most people would choose meat and potatoes or some variation of the staples if stranded on an island (an island complete with your most favorite meal, of course); but I choose snacks every time. I’m a snack-aholic. I’m not even sure why I bother with dinner – it’s only the dessert I’m interested in. But then there’s the shopping – all of those gorgeous clothes and shoes, all mine for the trying on; and let me tell you, a few too many desserts in and the trying-on process becomes less and less fun. So, to satisfy my dessert addiction, and to keep checks on my waistline (how’s that for compromise?), I try to indulge in small ways.
In comes PHILADELPHIA INDULGENCE, these perfectly sweet gold containers that nearly sing on the shelf at my supermarket. PHILADELPHIA INDULGENCE products are actually Real Chocolate blended with rich, creamy PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese Spread. I’m a fan of sneaking protein into my snacks (hello, cream cheese), and the spread is surprisingly low in sugar and carbohydrates.
On Monday (because everyone knows Mondays are the worst), I was in desperate need of an indulgence, so to the market I went. I stocked up on two flavors of PHILADELPHIA INDULGENCE – milk chocolate and white chocolate (PHILADELPHIA also makes a dark chocolate flavor) – and all of the dipping essentials – strawberries, pretzels, and low-fat graham crackers. I surprised the hubby with a sweet little spread and we had our own mini-chilled-fondue party, complete with mindless reality TV (a.k.a., a perfect night in.)
After about a handful of graham crackers and half the bowl of strawberries, hubby forewent the snacks and dug right into the container with a spoon. Though I chided him out loud, I totally wanted to do the same (i.e., did exactly that.) Both of us decided that the white chocolate spread would make a fantastic cupcake frosting, and tasted almost exactly like cheesecake. I leaned in favor of the milk chocolate version because everything’s better in chocolate.
Do tell – how do you unwind after a crummy day? What’s your favorite indulgence?
KRAFT PHILADELPHIA INDULGENCE! is Real Chocolate blended with rich, creamy PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Kraft via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Kraft.
March 28, 2012 5 Comments